Cockroaches continue to be one of the oldest and most dreaded invasive pests in Australia. Whether it’s your home or business, handling a cockroach infestation calls for professional support. While popular home remedies do work, they just offer temporary relief. So, why let the pesky creatures lurk in your home even after knowing the health concerns they cause?
While pest control Sydney is the ultimate answer to eliminating a cockroach infestation, we have outlined some temporary remedies for your convenience. Sooner or later, you need to reach out to these experts for help.
Common home remedies to control a cockroach infestation
1. Boric acid
Boric acid can help you get temporary relief from cockroach infestations. Spread a small quantity of this powder on your floors, crevices, and corners of the rooms. The roaches would die once they come in contact with boric acid. Make sure not to apply boric acid on wet surfaces. This will render it useless.
This is a temporary solution as the eggs that the roaches laid in the crevices would hatch in a few days, only to bring back the infestation.
A traditional tactic to weaken cockroach infestations, using baking soda along with sugar can help in controlling cockroaches. While sugar attracts these pests, baking soda kills them. So, once you detect their hideouts, apply baking soda around these places.
Among the essential oils, peppermint oils go a long way in eliminating cockroaches. Mix peppermint with saltwater to prepare a spray and apply it around their hideouts. Repeat this process for a few days to spot a visible difference in their population.
How to reduce the cockroach population at your home?
1. Glue traps
Glue traps are pretty effective in catching cockroaches. The trap emits an odour that draws the roaches. They get trapped when they come in contact with the strip. Place these glue traps under the sink or behind kitchen appliances. Once the strips become saturated with dead cockroaches, simply replace them.
2. Caulking entry points
There’s no point constantly replacing glue traps while they keep multiplying. Rather, caulking the entry points would be a logical decision. Closely observe the gaps between tiles and walls as well as window seals. Seal the entry points of your home like drains and crevices in the walls using caulk.
3. Buy a liquid concentrate
Get a liquid concentrate for deterring cockroaches and spray it into the crevices and cracks. For a more effective solution, mix the concentrate with a bucket of water and mop the floors. Like most other home remedies, this is a temporary solution as well. The cockroaches would return once you stop mopping your floors for a while.
What is the permanent solution to get rid of cockroaches?
Only a professional pest control company in Australia can bail you out of the cockroach menace permanently. Experienced cockroach extermination companies know where to locate cockroach infestations and accordingly, they administer the necessary treatment. Most of these service providers use safe agents that don’t pose any risk to your pets or kids.
So, if you are tired of DIY cockroach removal solutions, it’s time to reach out to the experts.
If you have been unknowingly harbouring rats in your home, you’re already putting the health of your family members at risk. These filthy creatures also bring irreparable and expensive damage to your home. They cut through fridge doors, and AC wires, and nibble expensive apparel, wooden floors, and other valuables. This explains why most Australian households hire professional rat removal services to eliminate these rodents.
In this blog, we have recommended some temporary means to control rat infestation at your home. It pays to seek professional help as experienced extermination experts can deliver a permanent end to your woes.
- Common damages caused by rats in your home
- Damaged wires in ACs, fridges, micro-ovens, and other appliances
- Ripping out mattresses and cushions
- Chewing up valuable books and documents
- Inflicting structural damage to woodwork, insulation, and drywall
Removing rats from your home: How to go about it?
1. Deny entry
In the first place, restrict the entry of rats into your home. A careful inspection will help you determine the potential loopholes in your seals. By bridging these loopholes, you can restrict access to your homes. Being small, rats can still wriggle in through tiny crevices. Professionals recommend using cement or strong plates or glass or metal to seal the entry points.
2. Set rat traps
One of the most common but time-intensive ways to remove rats from your home is to set traps. Using baits, you need to lead the rodents into the traps and do away with them.
Before setting rat traps, inspect where they are most active. Place the traps close to their entry points, so that they get caught instantly as they enter your home.
3. Deprive rats of food
Rats look out for hiding and nesting places in your home. Depriving them of their shelter and food, you would make them hunt for alternative places outside your home. Try to declutter your home, particularly the attic, basement, and kitchen.
Place heavy furniture and objects away from walls. Use closed bins to keep rats away from trash. In case there’s a food spill, clean it up immediately. Maintaining proper hygiene in your home works as the best line of defence against rodent infestations.
4. Try home remedies
- If the infestation is at its initial stages, some home remedies might work. For instance, rats can’t tolerate the smell of onions. Cut a piece of onion and place it close to the infested areas in your home.
- Households often use peppermint oil to deter rats. Apply it on cotton balls and place them on the probable entry points, kitchen countertops, and cabinets.
- Block the crevices around your walls using steel wool. Rodents fail to nibble through the steel meshwork using their teeth.
Get professional rat control services
Well, if you realize that eliminating these destructive rodents isn’t within your scope, don’t delay calling in a professional for rat control Sydney. Reputed pest extermination companies provide lasting and effective solutions to eliminate rates from homes and commercial spaces. Once they administer treatment, the experts would follow up at the specified interval. This prevents the infestation from reviving after a few months.
Make sure to follow up on their services at the right time to permanently eradicate rats from your home.
Bed bugs have earned their moniker from their inclination to hide in beds and prey on sleeping humans. Bed bugs consume solely blood and require frequent blood meals for survival and development. Bed bugs can harm humans and several warm-blooded animals, including chickens and other birds.
At Western Sydney Exterminators, we get requests for bed bug removal Sydney from many clients. Here is some information that will help you understand these pests better to reduce the chances of a bed bug infestation on your property.
How to identify bed bugs?
Identifying these pests is crucial if you want to eradicate them from your property. Here are some characteristics of bed bugs:
Bedbugs are tiny, oval, reddish-brown insects that feed on animal/human blood. The bodies of adult bedbugs are around the length of apple seeds. However, after eating, their bodies enlarge and turn a ruddy colour.
Although bedbugs cannot fly, they can travel swiftly across flooring, walls, and rafters. In their lifetime, female bedbugs can lay several hundred eggs, each roughly the size of a particle of dust.
Before reaching adulthood, immature bedbugs, known as nymphs, lose their skins 5 times and require a blood meal before each moult.
Under optimal conditions, the insects may mature within as little as one month and generate at least three generations yearly.
They can spread quickly from one room to another once they have entered a space.
Despite being an annoyance, they are not believed to carry illnesses.
Where Can You Find Bed Bugs?
Bed bugs have been connected with humans for thousands of years and can be found anywhere people congregate, including homes, hotels, schools, businesses, retail establishments, and public transit.
How Do Bed Bugs Enter Your Property?
Bed bugs are adept at transferring from one location to another despite being incapable of flight. They may travel with baggage, clothing, and beds. It is how bed bug infestations can spread so rapidly. In addition, bed bug bites can be difficult to identify and are sometimes confused with bites from other insects, making it difficult to detect infestations and allowing populations to thrive unnoticed making DIY bed bug removal challenging.
Although cleaning affected areas will help manage bedbugs, chemical treatments are typically required to eliminate them. Because disinfecting your bed or bedroom with insecticides might be dangerous, it is essential to pick solutions that are appropriate for use in bedrooms. Do not treat beds and mattresses unless the product label specifies that it can be used on these items. The best way to eliminate these pests from your property is to hire skilled professionals for thorough bed bug removal Sydney.
Generally, it is the most effective and safest way to eliminate these pests from your property. We offer reliable and timely pest control services. You can Contact Us through this link or call us at 02 9054 3056, and we offer the best Bed bug removal service to commercial and residential clients in Sydney.
Rats are a nuisance at your home, besides being a malicious spreader of several diseases. Moreover, they even damage properties, contaminate foods, and welcome other parasites like fleas, lice, and ticks with them. Rat colonization has turned out to be a common problem all over Australia. Many households are hiring local rat control agencies to prevent the oppression of rats. Given that rats can breed quickly, they can lead to critical issues if left unnoticed and unmanaged for a long time.
However, some signs will help you to identify if there are rats in your walls or attic. Go through these guidelines that would help you out.
How to identify signs of rats in the wall or attics?
It might be tough to state whether you have rats or mice in your house until you find a dead one. Fortunately, there are some clues for you. If you somehow manage to identify these signs, seek immediate assistance from experts for rat removal services Sydney to get rid of rats in your house. Look out for these signs at your home to identify the existence of these rodents.
- Rat droppings: You might come across rat droppings in areas like attics, basements, and behind the stoves. Rats can produce up to 40 droppings per night. These droppings look like large grains of rice.
- Scratching sounds: Rats are known as efficient climbers. Hence, they can reach the loft space and the roof of the building comfortably. So, hearing scratching and squeaking noises from the roof-top can help you identify their presence. On the other hand, if brown rats exist in your house, you may hear them scurrying under the decks, sheds, or floorboards.
- Running footprints: Rats usually leave footmarks in dusty, concentrated, and unused areas. Therefore, their marks on dirt and grease will signify their presence inside your house.
- Damage: The teeth of rats grow simultaneously. Hence, they need to bite wood or plastic to keep their teeth in shape. As simple as that, rats can cause fire by chewing electrical cables. Apart from that, you will notice ripped food packages, containers, and papers with visible teeth marks of rats on them.
- Rat nests: You will find rat nests made of various materials, including shredded paper, and furniture stuffing in warm and hidden places. Most of the time, these nests are located near food sources. Therefore, check out areas under the appliances, fridges, sofas, or near your kitchen for a sign of rat nests.
- Insulation: Disturbed attic insulation is another clear sign of rat infestations at your home.
How to get rid of rats?
Apart from seeking professional support for rats removal from home, you can take some safety measures as follows.
- Inspect the sealings of your home for any cracks or holes.
- Trim the ivy and tree limbs around your residence.
- Never store bundles of firewood and piles of debris in your house. This will prevent rats from getting any potential shelters for breeding.
- Attach thick weather stripping at the boom of the door to keep it sealed.
- Always use airtight containers for storing food.
If you want to control rat infestation in your home immediately, hire a rat control company. A professional support will help you safeguard your home from damaging rodents.
While pest control is a necessity, you might be in a dilemma regarding how frequently you need to call in the experts. Preventive maintenance of pests is crucial, no matter whether you want to stop a re-infestation after renovating your home, or take an advanced precaution against pests. Collaborating with a reputed pest control company, you can enjoy affordable pest control services to keep your home safe from these pesky perils. Moreover, experts will recommend you a customized plan and treatment program according to your specific requirements.
The frequency at which you need to get your home inspected depends on several factors. Consider aspects such as the location of your home, type of construction, material, sanitation, and the type of pests you want to prevent.
How often should you hire pest control services in Sydney?
There is no doubt that Australia is a home to a large number of poisonous and concerning pests. The most common pests you will get in Sydney are spiders, fleas, possums, bees, wasps, rats, and cockroaches.
Pest control experts suggest that you must choose a pest control program that suits the requirements of your residence. If you hire a reputed Sydney pest control company with qualified and skillful professionals, they would offer quarterly or every-other-month services. This would be more than enough to keep your home pest-free.
However, if you find heavy pest infestations in commercial buildings, restaurants, or homes in residual forest areas, it would be ideal to perform pest control frequently, every 2-3 months. On the other hand, residences with surrounding lakes, tall glasses, or heavy mulching may need monthly pest control treatment. This would keep away pests such as big-headed ants, German cockroaches, and white-footed ants.
In case of severe pest infestations, experts recommend performing pest control treatment activities frequently. Sometimes, exterminating the pests may need a few months, depending on the intensity of an infestation. Make sure to follow up the schedule until the specific pest colony is uprooted.
Some other factors that determine the frequency of follow-ups include the species creating their habitat in your house, the location of the pest colonies, and the period of the infestation.
Sometimes the infested colony may invade again even after the extermination is over . Therefore, routine pest control treatment is quite essential to prevent any further intrusion.
Seasonal pest control activities:
- January to March: The most common pests to control in this time are rodents, spiders, silverfish, and termites.
- April to June: During this time, the primary pests to take care of include ants, fleas, earwigs, and spiders.
- July to September: Pest that you can find for controlling are ants, fleas, spiders, and dry-wood termites.
- October to December: In these last three months, pests like rodents, earwigs, ants, termites, and spiders intensify their colonization.
Things you need to consider before hiring a pest controller
Make sure that your pest controller has a certified license for pest management and offers affordable pest control services. Moreover, they should have sufficient experience in that field. Ask them regarding the products they will use during pest treatment before you sign a deal with them. It makes sense to collaborate with an established, licensed, and insured pest control company.
Bed bugs are pesky pests and have been a part of the human society since the beginning. Bed bugs have now become resistant to many pesticides, therefore scientific advancements usage and an understanding of biology of bed bugs is required to get rid of them.
We all want a healthy and comfortable home for us and our family. Equipped with little bit of knowledge you will feel more confident about Bed bug removal Sydney and create a safe space in your home. So, don’t worry, whether you are trying to get rid of these pests at home, a commercial building or a multi-storied apartment, with the treatment options available you can easily get rid of them.
Is it tough to get rid of bed bugs?
The one word answer to this questions is ‘yes’. But this is not a problem that cannot be solved with a spray can in hand. Even Bed bug removal service providers expect that two cycles of treatment will be required to completely eliminate bed bugs. Here are factors that make removal of bed bugs difficult:
- Pesticide resistance: Pyrethroids are the class of pesticides used to manage pests. Bed bugs have developed resistance to these pesticides. Different population of bugs show different levels of resistance, but experts agree that this resistance makes it difficult to get rid of them.
- They multiply quickly: The fast rate of multiplication makes it harder to get rid of them. The average life of a bed bug is around a year and in its lifetime a female bed bug lays about 110 eggs. In a conducive environment, the bed bug population can double up every 16 days.
- Behavior: Bed bugs are quite secretive, they become active at night and get into small crevices and cracks during the day. Owing to their flat bodies they can get into thin cracks.
How to get rid of bed bugs quickly?
The minute you spot signs of bed bug infestation, you need to act swiftly. The longer you allow them to breed and grow, the more effort intensive and expensive the removal will become. Here are some treatment options available at hand, educate yourself about them and act wisely.
- First DIY steps: Start by clearing all the clutter, put it in a plastic bag and dispose carefully. Vacuuming can help lower the number but it alone cannot solve your problem.
- Heat treatment: Heat treatment is a good option if you want to quickly get rid of bed bugs. However, a successful bed bug heat treatment can be done by highly skilled professionals only. A residual pesticide is used in conjunction with the heat treatment.
- Traditional treatment: An insecticide based treatment is more affordable than other treatment options. You can find a Best Bed bug removal in your area for an effective treatment solution.
A good professional pest control service provider will focus on killing the nymphs that just hatch from the eggs. The aim is to kill them before they grow and become adults capable of reproduction.
Despite implementing DIY pest control methods and even calling Western Sydney Extermination, some pests refuse to go. They remain hidden for some time and then come out again. This indicates a serious infection and aggressive methods need to be adopted to rid the house of them.
Reason for Their Stubborn Presence
Some plausible reasons why some pests are difficult to annihilate and keep causing continuous reinfection are:
- For cockroaches, the fact that they lay almost innumerable eggs at once makes it difficult to eradicate them. Additionally, the mother roach carries its babies to reduce its contact with humans. This increases the complexity of the problem.
- Some pest species like some cockroaches and beetles are resistant to stomping. Scientists say that the exoskeleton possessed by the cockroach allows them to remain unaffected even by objects that are 900 times their weight.
- Most pests choose hiding places that are difficult to detect like the floorboards, inside electrical switchboards and even within wallpapers. The fact that some can squeeze their bodies through minute spaces is another cause of concern even for a pest control company like us.
- Lastly, critters can survive very long without food and water.
3 Common Pests That Refuse to Go
Considering the above reasons, it is not difficult to see why some pests simply refuse to be eradicated. Three such stubborn pests that simply refuse to go are:
Termites are sometimes mistaken to be white ants and are eusocial pests that frequently infest homes. Their colony comprises two types of termites:
- The workers that are about 3 to 4mm long.
- The wingless swarmers are about 4mm long and dark brown to black.
If a piece of wood crumbles on the slightest pressure, it is a sure indication of a termite problem. Termites hate the light and stay hidden within wooden panels. Additionally, they only attack after they have formed a colony of about 100,000 insects. Thus, it is best to get in touch with termite pest control experts the moment one suspects a termite problem.
These are one of the worst kinds of pest infections. They are very difficult to tackle and harm the people of the house who wake up with itchy skin that is relatively redder than the surrounding ones. Another symptom of this pest problem is the presence of small bites in a single line along the skin. A rusty spot on the mattress or bed sheets is also indicative of a bed bug problem that warrants the immediate presence of bed bug removal company to take care of it.
These pests are the hardest to annihilate since they are resilient and can squeeze their bodies to pass through extremely tiny wall cracks and crevices. They are nocturnal and stay hidden during the day. The presence of egg casings and faecal droppings are a sure sign of this pest problem.
The above pests are dangerous because they transmit diseases. Thus they need to be immediately eradicated and affordable pest control services immediately called.
The possibility of creepy-crawlies visible in the house is every house owner’s nightmare. The thought of spiders, roaches, rats, ants etc., roaming in the house of their free will is enough to make people cringe. They are also carriers of disease spreading germs and hence their presence in the house should be eliminated or reduced.
Before getting in touch with a pest control company, homeowners can adopt and implement the following effective DIY pest control methods like:
Using rubber doorstops
These can be easily procured from the local hardware store. Once installed, these rubber doorstops prevent pests from entering the house using the space beneath the doorways as entry points. This is one of the easiest and most effective ways to control the entry of pests.
Planting creepers and other plants near the edge wall edge acts as an invitation for vermin and pests. The vegetation acts as a bridge and help ants, cockroaches, spiders etc., to gain easy access to house interiors. Any overhead branch that touches any part of the roof also helps to act an as entry point for pests. Vegetation touching the house and the gutters should be avoided at all costs since it enables snakes to come inside the house. This can be extremely dangerous.
Setting up gardens
Most people set up gardens near the wall edges of their houses. While this may look very pretty, there are two problems associated with the same. They are:
- Since plants have to be watered daily to keep them alive, the moisture attracts pests and vermins.
- The growing plants may cover the weep holes in the walls thereby enabling termites to penetrate without the house inmates noticing the same.
Thus, such gardens should be set up away from the external walls of the houses. This is an effective DIY pest control method to follow.
Keeping the kitchen clean
After making food, the crumbs should be properly disposed. If left in the kitchen, they attract pests. All tap leakages should be repaired immediately as wet and moist places act as perfect breeding grounds for pests. The drawers, stovetops, kitchen counters and racks should be wiped regularly using a disinfectant cleaner. Additionally, food left outside should be consumed, stored or refrigerated. Getting rid of garbage daily prevents its accumulation thereby depriving pests of food and driving them out. Following this tip might not eliminate the pest problem; however, it will be kept under control until the pest control services of your choice arrive.
Taking care of bathroom
Using water constantly in the bathrooms keeps them moist for longer periods. Thus, extra precautions need to be taken to ensure that they do not become pest breeding grounds. Some of these measures include:
- Bathroom should be kept clean and dry as much as possible.
- The pot should be cleaned every alternate day using a toilet cleaner.
- Sink should be washed thoroughly at least once a week with a heavy-duty cleaner.
- Shower curtains should be dry without any moss formation.
- Drains should always be kept covered and unclogged.
Keeping the bathroom clean will help enhance its hygiene and keep it pest free. Standing water is also a breeding ground for many pests. Thus, any accumulation of water should be prevented and the source of water leakage solved immediately.
Following the above tips would enable homeowners to indulge in affordable pest control methods thereby preventing them from calling in the exterminators. Alternatively, taking care of the above points after the exterminators have sprayed the home would make the effect of the pest control last long.